DOUGH METHOD 1. Place sifted flour and salt into a food processor or mixing bowl.
2. Dissolve yeast in a little lukewarm water then stir in remaining water.
3. Make a well in the centre of flour mixture, place the dissolved yeast mixture and oil into the well and gradually work the flour in from the sides.
4. Add the Frank’s RedHot sauce to the dough and mix.
5. Remove dough from bowl and knead by hand until smooth and elastic. If dough is too sticky, add 1 - 2 tablespoons of extra flour.
6. Place dough in heavily oiled Detroit pizza dish, cover with a damp cloth or Detroi Pizza Lid and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume.
7. I snuck some jalapeños into this dough for some extra kick. Try experimenting with different things. Please note that my actual Detroit dough requires a few days to get to party time. This is just a good short cut dough.
SAUCE METHOD 1. Empty all the ingredients into a pot and mix. Save half of the water to add in later.
2. Bring to heat (bubbling).
3. Simmer for approximately 1 hour adding water gradually.
4. Using a stick mixer, blitz down the tomatoes into a sauce.
PREP IT FOR THE OVER A pizza stone would be amazing but not essential. I am lucky my oven gets really hot. Ideally, you would be able to cook this pizza at 300+ degrees Celsius so the stone helps to keep it hotter. You want to crank up your oven to Lucifer aka as hot as it gets.
Spread the pizza dough to the edges periodically so that it gets right into the corners.
I like to use a combination of cheeses. In this pizza I used a regular tasty cheese and mozzarella. I find that if you cube the cheese it melts at a slower temperature and doesn’t burn too quickly given the heat.
Spread the cheese out. Go hard on the cheese, right into the corners to get that square finish.
Apply as many or as few peps (pepperoni) as you like… personally the more the better!
I like to leave the lid on at the beginning as it allows the dough to maintain moisture and rise faster.
This pizza should take about 18mins on 250 degrees.
FINISHING Remove the pizza from the oven, wait 30s then remove from tray as fast as you can to get it onto a drying rack. This stops the base from sweating and keeps its crispy golden finish.
Add two strips of your pizza sauce lengthways down the pizza. Sprinkle on some parmesan. I personally like to add a dash of honey to make the spice pop even more. You should even add some more Frank’s RedHot if you were feelin’ really saucy.
Let it rest for about 3-5mins before serving and make sure you have some ranch sauce for dipping!